Monday, September 1, 2008

Theme Day - September 2008

The subject of Theme Day for September is "Sister Cities" and about 140 of my fellow City Daily Photo-bloggers will be interpreting the theme this month (click here to view thumbnails for all participants).

According to this link, Seoul has a large number of sister cities and I have had the good fortune to have visited several of them. Last month I had to go on a business trip to Washington D.C. and, although it was literally a flying visit, I managed to squeeze in a bit of sightseeing around the iconic landmarks of this sister city to Seoul.

So for this Theme Day I could have chosen a photo of something like the Washington Monument, the White House, the Capitol Building, the Lincoln Memorial etc., but I wanted to capture an image that I felt really linked the two cities together.

What I finally settled on is a photo of just part of the Korean War Veterans Memorial which is located near the Lincoln Memorial, south of the Reflecting Pool. As stated by Public Law 99-572, on 28 October 1986, the memorial was created to "…to honor members of the United States Armed Forces who served in the Korean War, particularly those who were killed in action, are still missing inaction, or were held as prisoners of war".

While the memorial comprises several components, including a mural wall and a pool of remembrance, it is the 19 figures emerging from the forest and patrolling in their ponchos through the juniper bushes that truly moved me. On the day that I visited, a wreath was present that had been placed by the Korean Ambassador, which added a little colour to what is otherwise a sombre scene.

8 comments:

Sometimes I don't, sometimes I do said...

That's a moving photo - especially because of the wreath and the words on it.

Jim said...

Wonderful capture of your sister city linking to Korea. I havent been to DC since this was built.

edwin s said...

I agree. The picture is a striking image. Wonderful.

Moon said...

I was in Seoul, Korea in 1953. I cried when I went to the Korean War Memorial.
Today when I saw your post I shed a tear. Thank you for your post, it was moving.

JM said...

What a fantastic memorial!!! Wonderful shot!

Phil_O'Logus said...

Thank you for the comments above.

I found all of the Washington memorials to servicemen and women to be moving, but seeing the almost ghostly figures of the Korea War Veterans Memorial was particularly so.

Olivier said...

la photo est magnifique et c'est un très bel hommage.
the photograph is splendid and it is a very nice homage.

Chuck Pefley said...

Perfect link between the cities!