Thursday, May 29, 2008

What a Bummer


I know about Genghis Khan and his son Kublai Khan, but I was unaware of the great "Bum Khan". That was until I happened to look closely at the top of the toilet paper dispenser in a cubicle I needed to visit recently. I assume that the association of the name with the purpose of the toilet tissue is just an unfortunate coincidence, but nevertheless I found it amusing. Fortunately (?) I happened to have my camera in my bag. I suspect that the flash going off in my cubicle provided food for thought for the folks in the other cubicles.

To complete the theme of toilet humour for this entry, I saw a young Korean woman in the supermarket recently wearing a t-shirt that had the following text written on the front without an accompanying image (those offended easily should not read any further): "MY CAT SMELLS OF RAT PISS". I have no idea what this means and neither do my Korean friends. I am told that a lot of young Koreans like to wear clothing with English words on them without necessarily understanding what those words actually mean. I suspect that the young woman I saw fell into this category.

6 comments:

kenziekylanmom said...

Hopefully she didn't know what it said because who would want to wear a shirt with that saying on it. Nasty!
That is so interesting because we have friends that are in China right now adopting a baby and everyday they post about all of the shirts that have random sayins in English on them.

LeenaM said...

Thank you for visiting my blog and your nice comment!
South Korea - I have one picture taken by me in Japan, where my husband is with South Koreans couple, we all were participants in some congress in Tokyo.

Jilly said...

Very funny! Bit like there used to be a funeral director in England called d'ath!

Murphy_jay said...

I think it's common in asian countries to see the locals wearing tshirts with some funny, sometimes even vulgar english wordings on it. Have seen some myself.

Adoptive Mom said...

Have you seen this one? (And yes, it's a children's t-shirt).

http://techteachkorea.wordpress.com/2007/09/12/jesus-of-the-nuclear-yhalesprecisely/

I think it's hilarious. And it also makes me wonder what my locally bought graphic t-shirts with "cool looking" Chinese script say. Eek. I could be walking around saying my cat smells of rat piss.

Phil_O'Logus said...

Thanks to all for your comments.

Adoptive Mom - no, I had not seen that one, but thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Cheers...